10 Books Read, and Other Tales
Oh, yeah, you're probably wondering about the picture. I sprained my ankle last week. It rolled, which it does pretty often, and then I had to wear snowboots to get around and I worked with this ankle for two days (and I work retail, so I'm on my feet from anywhere from 4 to 9 hours when I work) before realizing that this was not like those other times when the ankle rolled. It did not go back to what passes as normal after two or three days.
It's a minor sprain, there's a little swelling but not much, and I can walk (well, hop and drag), but it's painful. Sprains are pretty weird. It hurts to stand too long (especially in the shower, for whatever reason) but when I sit, the ankle doesn't like being elongated downwards and starts aching then, too. Hence the air cast.
If you writers out there ever write a character who is short, note that my feet (and I'm 4'11") don't necessarily hit the ground when I'm sitting in a chair.
I've been trying to write draft four, obviously, having finished the outline. I've written 5 pages, but I'm a little blocked or stuck or something; I can't seem to get inside Miles's head in order to write from his POV. I know I can go back and fix the distance of the beginning when I feel more comfortable with Miles toward the middle. But it's annoying.
I finished reading my 10th book in my Goodreads "40 Books in a Year" challenge thingy. 40 books is an utterly arbitrary number, really. I know someone doing a 52 book challenge this year.
Anyway, I just thought I'd tell you a little about the first ten books I've read in 2014. I'm trying to climb out of my cozy historical romance/historical fiction cave a bit. I feel like I read more widely as a teenager.
1. Yokohama Yankee by Leslie Helm--Review--History/Memoir/Japanese culture--4 stars
2. The Triangle Trade by Geoff Woodland--Historical Fiction/British history--3 stars
3. Persuasion: The Wild and Wanton Edition by Micah Persell (using Jane Austen's novel)--Romance/Historical Romance--3 stars
4. Emma: The Wild and Wanton Edition by Micah Persell (with Jane Austen's novel)--Romance/Historical Romance--2 stars
5. Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick--Historical fiction/British history--4 stars
6. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford--Review--Historical fiction/WWII/American history/Japanese internment--4 stars
7. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen--Classics/Romance/British lit.--3 stars
8. The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas--Review--Fantasy/YA--4 stars
9. Wonderful Tonight by Pattie Boyd--Review--Autobiography/Music--2 stars
10. Amsterdam by Ian McEwan--Literature/Contemporary/Brit. lit.--3 stars